Saturday, February 20, 2010

Aunt Etter's Poker

I was at Courtney's house when we had what us Alabamians
would call "the big snow".
Law was still recovering from his surgery.
Oak Mountain, where Court lives, was beautiful.
Dave had kept a fire in their fireplace to keep us cozy.
He said something about how good the fire poker was that we gave him.
We no longer burn a fire. We burned a fire for years and our whole family loved it!
But, John and I got tired of the mess so......
we got gas logs......and we love them!
Courtney asked for our fireplace tools when they moved into their house
They were no where to be found
But
John did find this fire poker
It belonged to my Aunt Etter
Now, lets talk about Aunt Etter's name
I guess I was in my 30's before it dawned on me
that her name really wasn't Etter
She was Etta Wood
She never married
She was my Daddy's aunt
and she lived with another family relative
that we also called aunt
but I am now thinking she might not have been a true relative
in the blood sense
They owned a house somewhere outside of Phil Campbell
and they each had their own side of the house
with a connecting kitchen they shared
I can remember loving to go to her house
My Daddy was from Russellville originally
and we would visit about twice a year
When we went to Aunt Etter's
I can remember going into the pasture behind her house
there were big rocks sticking out of the ground
It's funny what you remember
Anyway, Aunt Etter was a school teacher that did not trust banks
When she died they found money taped to her
and they found money all over the house
Since she did not have any children the nephews inherited
I have many things of Aunt Etter's that was brought to my house when
my Daddy died and my Mom moved in with me
The poker was something I had forgot about
Sometimes if we hear a noise in the house
John will kid and say
Aunt Etter?
Well, now something of Aunt Etter's is in Birmingham
She died in her 80's
about 30 years ago
and
I still think of her

1 comment:

Jim, Darlene and Eli said...

Funny how we remember relatives! My grandmother Perkins had an Uncle Jim. (so he would have been my great-great uncle, I guess??) Anyway,per my grandmother, Uncle Jim had a reputation of not always taking a bath on a regular basis and was a bit on the sloppy side. After he would come to visit my grandparents, she would always say she had to "get Uncle Jim out of the house" (I think referring to the smell he left behind!)So, this has just become a saying in our family after having company,,,,we are getting Uncle Jim out of the house! Unfortunately, MY Jim thinks it isn't a good saying, because after he has been home for a few days and calls on his way back to Texas, I will say, "I'm trying to get Uncle Jim out of the house." LOL