Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A Blessed Night

                                                                                                                   
My daughter in law, Kim Lawson, worked with the Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind this year. Children with disabilities is something that hits close to home in our family and Kim definitely has a heart for this work! We truly became more aware of disabilities, years ago, when Curt had his accident. You think you know...you think you understand....but until you live it you just think you understand.
Something that I will never forget....when I was at Shepherd Spinal Center in Atlanta....learning how to help take care of Curt.....we were in a group discussion with older wheelchair patients....one of the men said......Look at us, we understand that, but then bring your eyes to our face and acknowledge us! I try to do this to anybody I see with any disability!

When Kim invited me to their Graduation I was honored.


waiting for the program to begin

This poem was included inside the program. I love it!

THE PROGRAM
all the children were in the end of the year program








THE GRADUATION






They are all precious but.....this little sweetheart captured my heart. He debuted pushing his chair all by himself down the aisle.... to get his diploma. Not a dry eye in the house. Oh....what we take for granted!!!

THE HIGH FIVES



This little man caught our attention quick. Kim introduced him to me and Brady. He did not graduate but Kim was holding a hat in her hand and he wanted to try it on. I made a picture of him in the hat and he wanted to look at the pic. I pulled up the pic and handed him the camera. He looked at it and then turned the camera around and wanted to make my picture. Kim fixed the camera for him and then I posed. He stopped, took the camera down and motioned for Brady to hug me and then.....made this picture.
Brady and I got a good laugh out of it and told him thank you.......that was when Kim reminded us that he was deaf. Don't forget to count your blessings. Brady and I quickly learned the sign for thank you!


Also, please visit these two pages. Grey was one of Kim's students.
on facebook ---  Sounds 4 Grey
and

4 comments:

Kim Lawson said...

Thank you for this post. I'm all teared up reading and thinking about my time with them.

Kyler, Jennifer, Olivia and Lucy said...

Beautiful Post!!! All those smiling faces are just precious.

We never talked about it publicly when she was going through the therapy, but Olivia took individual speech therapy there for a year when she was 2. It is a wonderful facility with an amazing staff.

And yes it will make you count your blessings. Every time we would go for therapy I'd leave feeling so thankful for my gifts. Even though Olivia was stuggling in an area, she could see and hear me. It really put it all into perspective very quickly.

Keri said...

Loved this. I have two very close friends that have children with disabilities...so I have a special place in my heart for these precious ones!

hicksfamilycircus said...

Very sweet....once upon a time I worked in a this extraordinary field myself. :)Special place will always fill my heart for them!