Tuesday, June 2, 2009

THE TOOTIE TA....one last time!




Robin Clements...how do I begin to describe her. Let me start with the first time she touched my life. I was still "new" to Berry, Alabama, I was pregnant with Courtney and I was at Berry's homecoming game. The homecoming queen was being crowned and her name was Robin Patton. I looked at this beautiful, wholesome girl and said ,"wow" I like that name. Do you know Courtney's full name.....Courtney Robin!
Skip to Brady's 2nd grade year at Berry Elementary. Guess who was his teacher......Robin Patton Clements.
Robin moved to kindergarten the next year.
Mrs. Clements was Josh's kindergarten teacher.
Robin and I were close. We saw each other at school even when she didn't have one of my children and really saw each other a lot when she had Josh. I volunteered in his kindergarten class just about everyday.
Then Robin had Curt in her kindergarten class. If you haven't known me long you may not know the "Curt story" but that will be another post on another day. I was hired to be Curt's aide all day, everyday, at school. Robin and I became very close during this time. It would be hard to describe that year except to say that it affected us both and we will always share a bond because of it.
Robin Clements --- Wife, daughter, sister, kindergarten teacher, friend, amazing person and most important--- CHRISTIAN and she wants everyone to know it!
Robin was in a terrible accident this time last year and everyone was worried that she would not live. She lived and was the talk of DCH. Everyone there loved her and her loving upbeat christian attitude. Robin tried to come back this school year but it just proved to be too much and so she retired. What big shoes she leaves to be filled.
John and I were so honored to be invited to her retirement party last week. We shared a wonderful potluck meal. But the very best part, that is just Robin, was at the end of the party. Robin asked that we all stand , hold hands, and sing Amazing Grace. And then she came around to the front of the head table punched a button on a tape player and asked us all to do the TOOTIE TA with her ONE LAST TIME!
Robin, you have shaped so many young lives, for the good, in your teaching years. From the bottom of my heart....I THANK YOU and I LOVE YOU!
NOW --- Linda Patton Clark (sister), Robin Patton Clements, Lavonia Patton (mother) and Robin's niece at the retirement party
THEN --- Mrs. Clements' room ---1994 --- Curt in wheelchair
THEN --- Mrs. Clements' room --- 1984 --- not sure who the child is --- Josh's kindergarten year
****If you had already read this post you will notice that I changed the title. I knew that it was Tootie Ta but for some reason Hokie Pokie was stuck in my head.****



6 comments:

Courtney Long said...

I didn't know the story about Mrs. Clements being homecoming queen. Hard to imagine the elementary school without her. What an sweet, sweet person!

Niki Arendale said...

That could not have been put any better. Mrs. Clements will be missed dearly. I still remember the peanut butter/jelly song she taught us in 2nd grade. I loved it!!
I think the little girl in the last picture with her is Rita Heard.

Unknown said...

Niki, you are absolutely correct- it's Rita Heard. Robin Clements, if ever there was an angel on Earth; she leaves shoes that no one could ever fill.

kimberly t. bowling said...

I can only say ditto to all that has been said in the post as well as the comments section. And can only add that she was marvelous to my baby girl in Kindergarten. She encompasses the Christian life in every aspect of her daily living....and is such a model for the children and adults as well.

Kim Lawson said...

I think the only thing I can add that hasn't been said is Mrs. Clements is the only person I know that immediately loves you from the first moment she meets you! Mrs. Clement's unconditional love can be felt and heard by all. Mrs. Clement's is the real thing!

The Cannons said...

Its was so much fun. She is in a league of her own.