Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Great Massacre of 09

If you read my daughters blog, www.longsatlegglofts.blogspot.com, you may have
read the post back in October with pictures of a cute little Halloween/Thanksgiving scene or err
a picture of a scene anyway
Not sure how cute
I think Courtney had been waiting on the opportunity to do this since before they moved in
You know how these things are
My thing when we moved into our first house was to put up
hanging flower pots and get a hammock
I think that even though Courtney and Dave loved their loft
they were looking forward to things that having a yard offered

Courtney asked me to bring up some bales of hay so she could do a little decoration for Halloween
Now, in Berry, a small country town
we don't have those cutesy little decorating hay bales
We have the real thing
So....
when Court asked for six bales
it was hanging over the edges of the back of the truck
Off we went to the Farmer's Market to get some pumpkins
The FM is so much fun
They had every kind of pumpkin in every size that you could imagine
About $75.00 later
we came back to Courtney's with a truck full of pumpkins

I also had brought corn stalks with me
So....
we started decorating
Let it be said that I do not have a single decorating cutesy gene
and I fear that my daughter is the same way
We worked and worked
but even we realized that it was just so so
but with the time and money put into it
the decoration stayed
and
Lawson thought it was wonderful

As we were decorating the hay
Courtney mentioned that she hoped the hay didn't hurt
the grass
Dave had that grass looking great

The first weekend of December
John and I went to Birmingham to go to a
Christmas Tree Farm
Court, Dave and Lawson went with us
We got trees for everybody
After we unloaded Courtney and Dave's tree
and Lawson's Charlie Brown tree
Courtney asked if we could take the hay back to Berry
So....
Out go Courtney and I to dismantle the famous decoration
As we were picking up the hay
we actually had to pull it up
it had rooted into the ground
Uh Oh
The surrounding grass had already turned the yellow brown color
that kind of grass does in the winter
So
it didn't look bad
Whew!

Well, when we were up at Courtney and Dave's, the first of May, for
Lawson's birthday party
I noticed this in the front yard
Yes, all the grass was green except for the memory of Courtney's
very first
yard decoration
She says
never again
Dave calls it
The Great Massacre of 2009

2 comments:

lifeshighway said...

That is hilarious! I laughed so hard at the picture. Great way to set up a story and end it with a bang.

Amanda McCrory said...

That is so Funny My husband will not hardley even let us walk on his lawn we have a pool but since it killed the yard in a big round circle a few years back we now have to enjoy a kiddie pool on the back patio, and the yard is full of sand everywhere tring to make the grass grow.