Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Always Working on my Yard

Years ago, while on a mini vacation with my family, I saw a side yard that became my inspiration for my own yard. Now, if you have ever seen my yard you are probably thinking - huh? Believe me when I say that my yard would not inspire anybody. All these years I have been working toward the goal of looking like this small spot that inspired me. It would help if I had a green thumb but luckily my husband does have a green thumb.

What have I learned after all these years. It takes years to reach a goal in your yard unless you have the money to put already grown plants in place and have someone take care of them for you......but what is the fun it that....I mean really. I am invested in every plant in my yard...it makes it mine. Also, Mother Nature's hand can take over and wipe out ten years of work...a tornado, too much rain, too little rain, bugs and diseases. So my yard is always a work in progress.

I have looked out my window before and wondered what it would look like if everything I have planted had lived or grown like I had planned on but then it is fun to plant something new every year and see what happens.

My kids know that I love plants and often gift me with a plant.

Several years ago Kim and Brady were looking for a spot to make a Christmas card picture of the girls (before JB3). There was a tree in downtown Tuscaloosa widely known for how beautiful it was every fall. People would often stop by and make pictures in this man's yard. Brady and Kim took the girls there and made a picture. Kim and I became interested in the tree and then the very next month Southern Living had a tree like it on their magazine cover. It was a Ginkgo tree.

This is a Ginkgo tree

Beautiful. isn't it. The leaves that fall on the ground around it make for some really great pictures.

Look on down to find my Ginkgo tree

We are a long way from making pictures around it. Brady and Kim gave it to me two years ago. The plant books say that it is fast growing but I guess it is struggling with the red clay we have.

I love this tree. At least once a week I look it over to make sure nothing seems to be wrong. I see my future in this tree. I love watching it grow. Maybe someday it will be a tree that people come to make pictures around. Maybe my Great Grandchildren will say....let's go to MeMe's and make our Christmas card picture. I love the small display of beautiful colored leaves it has every fall.

Notice the faded bow tied around the trunk of the tree. Kim had tied it on before I was presented the gift. I chose to leave it on so now it is a little droopy. I have always left the bows on my plant gifts. It is just another reminder of life and my family.
Abby asked me one day why my trees always wear hair bows?

My ginkgo tree

Mother's Day 2009
Brady brought me this Bougainvillea Vine
as a gift from his family

And as part of my birthday present
A mum from
Emma , Abby Claire and JB3


I have not had good luck with mums. I love them but they seem to turn brown and die after they come to my house. So far these mums are doing great. Maybe it is all the love wrapped up in them

Really, if you have mum advice I would love to hear it.


2 comments:

ChrisJean3 said...

Rusty's grandmother sent me a pot of white mums when I was in the hospital having Whitney (17 years ago)...she died before Whitney turned 1 year old. Mom planted those mums and they still bloom EVERY year...17 years...that's amazing!!!

Joy said...

Wow....I am so impressed! If you think about it ask her if she has any mum hints.