Wednesday, March 24, 2010

You Might Be Crazy If...........

You Go To The Zoo
During Spring Break!

I went to Birmingham last Friday to keep Lawson
Courtney had conference calls beginning at 11:00
and
Dave had two workers helping him with
the landscaping job he is doing

I got there at 11:10 and Lawson and I went to
Sam's to pick up a few items.
Do you ever eat at Sam's?
The cheapest lunch ever
Big hot dog, a hot pretzel, a big bag of chips and a very large drink
that Law shared with me
$3.86

We left Sam's and headed to 280 toward the Zoo
I should have known that it would be bad when
it took 5 minutes to merge into the traffic heading to
the Zoo
As we turned left I saw people parked on both sides of the road
all the way to the stop light!
Crazy me
I made it to the gate and after waiting for the man directing traffic
I turned into the Zoo
That was when I realized that I was out of gas.....
on fumes actually
It was so crowded and slow that I was picturing
getting stoned as my car , finally completely out of gas,
stopped and caused a traffic jam that would be
on the front page of The Birmingham News
I decided to try to get back out on the road and go
get some gas
that is when it really got interesting
I got caught in a line of big SUVs
(don't forget that the Obama is at the car doctor
getting over a bad case of DEER)
So, I was one of those big SUVs
We could not get out!
It was getting ugly
I turned the air conditioning off
to save gas???
and rolled down the windows
It was so bad that at one point
Lawson asked me
"what is all that yelling!"
Finally, a zoo worker stopped traffic and got us all out
Back on the road I went and got some gas
The whole time Lawson is saying
I WANT TO GO TO THE ZOO
So......

We went back to the zoo
I mean
what is a MeMe to do
and yes, I went right back and turned into the Zoo to
try to park
at least I wouldn't run out of gas
Luckily, this time I found a parking spot
but not before I thought I was going to
have to fight over it

We unloaded and got the stroller
Lawson hates the stroller but it is good to have to carry purses etc.
and headed to the gate

NO, this can't be
six lines, all the way to the parking lot,
to get in the gate
and it is already 2:00 PM
so
we got in line
but finally
something went right
maybe the only thing all day
a Zoo worker came out and said if you were a member
to show her your card and go in
Guess what
we are members.....YEA
So
we get in the gate
we are already tired and hot
Lawson asks for a Popsicle
I say okay...he has really been good during all of this
We go in the souvenir shop to get a Rocket Ice Pop
no Rocket Ice Pops...all gone
They say...check the concession stand outside
So....we get in line at the concession stand
stand there a while
We are next
I go to get my money out of my purse
What is this......No Money
That can't be...but it is
so I get out my debit card
don't take debit cards or credit cards
Have to tell Lawson we can't get a Rocket Pop
not pretty
So.....
I say...let's go to the snack bar (I know they take a credit card) and see if we can get a
Rocket Pop
Keep in mind that we have not seen any animals yet

We get to the snack bar
a line out the door
it would have taken at least an hour
to get a Rocket Pop
I break the news to Lawson
he did not take it well..to say the least

As I was contemplating begging for some money

I saw the water play pad

Look Lawson

and that took care of the problem

We didn't see a single animal that day
or
get a Rocket Pop
but.....
Law had a good time!



3 comments:

kimberly t. bowling said...

Love it....I'd have been CRAZY right there with you!! My kids ALWAYS loved the zoo when they were toddlers....even still do today!

Seeing Lawman soaking wet in his clothes just tickles me to death...he certainly had fun, no doubt!!

hicksfamilycircus said...

I'm with Kim. Seeing him all soaked just makes me giggle. I remember those days w/my girls. Glad we stayed away - I had a feeling it was gonna be crowded that day! You shoulda just come and hung out with us!! :)

MomMom said...

What we don't do for our grsndchildren!! I would have done the same thing. I know you had fun and I also enjoyed your post about spring break at your house. Our grandchildren come for Cousins' Camp at our house every summer. Guess our newest granddaugther (2months) will have to wait a couple of years but can't wait till she can come, too.