Sunday, May 24, 2009

Standing on the Sidelines



The year was 1997. The coach was Mike Dubose. Courtney was a Bama Belle. Josh and his buddy Wesley Madison were seniors on the Berry football team. Josh and Wesley were invited to be guests at a Alabama football game and Courtney got to be their Belle. What a picture. We didn't know then that Josh would stand on the sidelines of Bryant Denny Stadium for many games. The boys were thrilled and so were we.


They don't have Bama Belles anymore at Alabama or the equivalent at other schools. The NCAA made them do away with them. Courtney was so thrilled when she was chosen to be a Belle. Courtney has some wonderful stories from those days. My favorite still gives me chill bumps. She told of being in the tunnel of the stadium when the players walked out of the locker room. She said the tunnel was suddenly full of these huge ball players and all you could hear was the sound of their cleats hitting the cement as they walked. As they stopped to await their entrance onto the field they began a slow clap and the rumble of ROLL........TIDE ROLL.......ROLL.....TIDE ROLL, in their deep voices, swept through the tunnel. She said it was overwhelming. Now, tell me, Alabama fans, does that not make the hair on the back of your neck stand up and bring a tear to your eye. I am so glad she got to experience that.



Back to the title of this post.....I bet you think it is about standing on the sidelines at Denny Stadium. It is really about the fact that it is a holiday weekend. Stay with me and I will explain. Tomorrow we will cook ribs, be with our family and maybe the grand kids will get in the pool. Tomorrow, if it is raining, I bet we will complain about the weather. Yes, I will be Standing On The Sidelines while Wesley Madison is protecting my freedom. Standing on the sidelines while he is on his way or already on the "field of battle". Standing on the sidelines in my free country. Standing on the sidelines praying for his safe return. So, I just want to say "Thank You" to everyone who is protecting my freedom. Thank You, on this Memorial Day, to the families of the ones who gave all. Thank you!

GOD BLESS AMERICA



THEN --- Josh Lawson, Courtney Lawson and Wesley Madison in Bryant Denny Stadium

3 comments:

Jennifer Beard Maddox said...

Ms. Joy, this is so sweet and so true. Reading your post brings tears to my eyes. We, as American's, are so lucky and so blessed. Happy Memorial Day!

hicksfamilycircus said...

Very well put Aunt Joy! God Bless America!

Kyler, Jennifer, Olivia and Lucy said...

Wonderful post Mrs. Joy!!! Wesley is a good friend of Kyler's and I found myself in tears reading this post. I am so proud of him and grateful for the sacrifice that he and all soldiers are making to protect my freedom. Thank you so much for reminding me of this.