Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Memory on the Tip of my Tongue

John, Lawson and I were in Tuscaloosa Tuesday when Emma, Abby and John Brady got home from their first day of school. Emma is in the 3rd grade at Huntington, Abby is in the 2nd grade and John Brady is in pre K at Northport Elementary.

Later, on our way home John was saying how he expected ( wishing ) JB3 to come through the door looking and acting ( to a Pop, anyway ) way to little ( he is only 4 years old ) to be in school. Instead, he looked and acted like school was no big deal and he had been there for years ( so proud of him )!

Now, I can't tell you how much I appreciate being alive and healthy at this point in my life. I plan on seeing JB3's youngest child come home from their first day of school! BUT.... seeing JB3 come home from real school did make a little flutter of -- Uh Oh, I am getting old -- go through my head!

So, because I have big plans on staying around for a long time I do a few things to try to help (need to do a lot more). One of the things I have done for many years is to take a 81 mg. aspirin every morning. This is easy.

I had just bought a new bottle of the low dose aspirin. This morning I opened the new bottle and got out an aspirin and popped it in my mouth. I was immediately transported back to a red cedar shake house on the old 78 Highway in Birmingham. Why you ask.........

I had accidentally bought the kids chewable tablets. Will anybody my age ever forget the taste of a baby aspirin? I could picture the kitchen and even the cabinet they were always in. Hey......that's a good sign isn't it!!!!!

2 comments:

Raegan & Caleb said...

Mrs. Joy - I'm jealous. I have to take a baby asprin for pregnancy reasons. When Caleb went to CVS to pick up a bottle for me, they told him they no longer made baby asprin. Ugh. I hate taking pills, but having those chewable tablets sure did help. And yes, they do have that distinctive taste.

kimberly t. bowling said...

Oohh...I loved the taste of baby aspirin!! My granny would always give me those when she kept me if something was hurting! I loved the orange coloring on one side and the smell too. :)