Sunday, September 27, 2009

Do you know how to spell........

SCUPADINE


Courtney and Lawson came home, for a few hours, Friday to attend a funeral. When we returned home, from the funeral, John and Lawson changed clothes quickly so they could go outside and play before the trip back to Birmingham.

Lawson loves to eat off the scupadine vine that our neighbor has between our yards. Law eats the scupadines skin, seeds and all. John spends time showing him how to spit out the skins and seed and he can do it correctly but we assume that he thinks that is too much trouble.

Today was another rainy day and I thought I would write a post to keep for a day when it was needed. Law eating the scupadines Friday made me remember these pictures that I took back in August.

I decided to publish the post now after this happened

I can't believe that I am about to tell this but luckily


I don't mind laughing at myself

Let me start by saying that I have always thought of myself as a good speller

Really I am!

That having been said.........

I have always heard of this fruit that Law was eating
I thought I understood what people were saying when they called it by name

I decided maybe I needed to double check my spelling before I started this post
so I..........

Went to edit on my computer and typed in the word

Not going to tell you how I spelled it
This is humiliating enough

Here is what happened

Encyclopedia
Returned no results
Did you mean scuffing?

Dictionary
The word you entered is not in the dictionary
Click on the spelling suggestions below:
1. stuffing
2. Scheveningen (huh?)

Thesaurus
The word you entered is not in the thesaurus
**not even a suggestion**

so I went to my old standby that treats me right....

Search the Web

Typed in my spelling for this fruit
Your search returned no results

had an idea

went back to
Search the Web

typed in
muscadine

and there it was
mentioned in a sentence along with muscadine

SCUPADINE

I will make sure that Lawson pronounces it correctly

****blog spellcheck does not like the way I spell muscadine or scupadine****

4 comments:

kimberly t. bowling said...

I've always called them scuppernongs....

My uncle has muscadine and scuppernong vines....LOVE them both...and they make excellent vino. :)

Amanda McCrory said...

Ms Joy I have never been able to Spell and half the time forget to do the Spell check seems I am always in a hurry. I love the post. Each time my children come to Berry to visit my mom and dad They eat nothing unless it comes from the wild they will load the golf cart and off to the woods they go and a few yards on the way always eating Figs Blackberries Blueberries Apples Pears Pecans Crab Apples Muscadines Percimon.....lol how would you spell that? You name it if they can find it they will eat it no washing off or anything.

ChrisJean3 said...

Their great to eat!! Doesn't matter how you spell it!!!!

The Cannons said...

The boys call them "muskydimes" and Houston absolutely loves them. We have been having to "limit his input" due to the "unlimited output".ha