Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Magnolia, Arkansas or Bust

Two days before Josh's first ballgame I walked into the kitchen and told John I couldn't stand not being there. He looked at me and said "start packing"! We had already planned out the games we were going to try to attend and we had not planned on going to the first game but I was ready to see my boy!

I knew the GPS was heading us in the right direction when we passed over the Mighty Mississsippi

We had never been to Vicksburg so we decided to take a little side trip to the
Vicksburg National Military Park





Look carefully and you will see a Hicks and a Long.
I didn't find a Lawson anywhere.


Here's a little funny.....as we were driving through the park I made the statement...."John, why are there so many monuments with Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana and Rhode Island"? John said without skipping a beat....."Joy, haven't you learned by now that the people who win get all the bragging rights"! Uh....Oh Yeah.




This is the remains of the USS Cairo that was sunk, by a mine, as it steamed up the Yazoo River.

The Vicksburg National Cemetary is covered with these gigantic Magnolia trees.
We made it to Shreveport later that afternoon

Josh had suggested that we go to the Boardwalk to eat supper.
John and I shared a steampot.

We sat on the porch at the restaurant and this was our view

And this is how we ended
our evening at the Boardwalk

Tomorrow........Magnolia, Arkansas and Josh

5 comments:

hicksfamilycircus said...

Great Post. Tell Josh good luck from us!

ChrisJean3 said...

Have fun Mrs. Joy and be safe!!

kimberly t. bowling said...

Oh my....I may have to load the kids up and take a trip to watch Josh too...just so we can eat some of that good-looking food!

The Cannons said...

Can't blame you! By the way, did you take "The Obama" or Yukon?!ha

Joy said...

We took the "Obama". It cost us less than half the gas!