Friday, September 11, 2009

DO YOU REMEMBER

* I remember when I just happened to turn on the tv and realized that something was happening

* I remember picking up the phone and calling Cathy to tell her to turn the tv on in her office because something was happening in New York.

* I remember just about the time she got her tv on in her office that a plane flew into a building

* I remember us telling each other, in that strained I want to cry voice, that something was wrong

* I remember thinking about Courtney, who was to fly home that day from North Carolina

* I remembered that she had called earlier to tell me she had just got the call that her new job was New York City!

* I remember watching the people running away from the Twin Towers

* I remember that Courtney could not get home because the airports were closed

* I remember Courtney calling and saying that all the rental cars were gone

* I remember crying

* I remember Courtney called to tell me that several of the Stockamp people had rented a U-Haul truck to get home.

* I remember those towers falling!

* I remember praying

* I remember that Alabama did not play football that Saturday.....and I didn't care

* I remember Brady and Kim walking into church that Sunday morning with, 7 month old, Emma. Emma was holding a flag that they had gotten at a memorial service in Tuscaloosa and she would not put it down.

* I remember, hearing sobs, as I sat on my bench in church. I looked to see who it was.....it was Courtney seeing Brady for the first time since it had happened.

* I remember Courtney flying out of Birmingham on the first flight to New York City after 9-11

* I remember the first Alabama ballgame after 9-11. Both teams walked out in silence and stood on the sidelines with their helmet under their arms.

* I remember Cathy and I sobbing as we sang the National Anthem

* There are many more things that I remember




Never Forget

I had asked for a flag pole for my birthday which is in October. I told John last week that I would love to have it up by 9-11. I have flown a flag since 9-11 but about a year ago a bad storm blew my flag and wooden pole away and we decided to get the real thing to replace it. My sweet husband put the flag pole up for me Monday and we raised the flag in honor of 9-11.


3 comments:

Lana said...

What a tribute. For my family, our lives were changed forever. Thank you for your remembrances of that day.

~Lana

Anonymous said...

I remember calling Mom and asking her if everything was going to be ok. And I remember standing on the Alabama football field and everyone chanting USA.

The Higginbotham's Blog said...

Joy-
What a great post! I wish you would have stopped us this weekend at the ballgame...I would have love to have met you. I'm glad you read the blog...your on my list now!