Thursday, August 12, 2010

It's a Rememory

I have made a lot of Kool Aid this summer
With the hot temperatures
the kids were always thirsty

As I was making my Kool Aid with Splenda
my mind went back to my childhood
my Mother never made Kool Aid
but
I learned to love it at
Vacation Bible School
at
Westwood Baptist Church
Those ladies made the best Kool Aid
I have tried to copy it
They mixed grape Kool Aid with
what seems to me to have been lemon
It was just the right amount of sweet
(and I am sure it wasn't Splenda)
and tart
Man, could it quench your thirst
and they always had these cookies
that were shaped like
windmills
I would love to find
some of those cookies
Treat time was something to look forward to

Skip forward to my
Tuesdays with MeMe
I mix grape and lemonade Kool Aid
I love it
not sure about the kids "loving" it
but they do drink it
but
it isn't as good as the
"Vacation Bible School Kool Aid"
I wish I knew their secret!

4 comments:

Kim Lawson said...

Funny you mentioned this. That is one of my favorite childhood memories. My granny Hocutt would take me to vacation bible school at Hopewell Baptist. Oh, how I will never forget my excitement of eating cookies and drinking kool-aid served on the old concrete tables under the shade trees!

Anonymous said...

Did your cookies have little slices of almond in them? If so, they may have been Archway company's. You can still buy them today (and get them in Alabama).

Here's a link to the product:
http://www.archwaycookies.com/products/windmill/

sue said...

I remember those cookies. They were almond somethings. But we always had orange or cherry koolaid.

kimberly t. bowling said...

This was a great memory...it reminds me of the early years spent at Berry COC and Ms. Melba Henry as one of my sunday school teachers...grape kool aid or apple juice and shortbread cookies....that could be one of my earliest memories. And Kim, I LOVED getting to have "dinner on the grounds" at my PawPaw's church---outside on the long row of concrete tables, all nestled under a row of large shade trees! :)