Monday, August 23, 2010

Tuesdays with MeMe

This past Tuesday
I helped the kids cook
supper for their Mom and Dad

I had noticed how much they loved making brownies
over the summer
so
I thought every couple of weeks we would give Kim
a break and I would help them make supper

This really brought back
memories for me

I was a stay at home Mom
but
I didn't want my kids to grow up
not knowing how to take care of
themselves just because I was always there
so
we gave them many jobs
cutting grass
weed eating
weed pulling
pool cleaning
car washing
dusting
sweeping
ironing
and finally the day came
when I decided it was time to
learn to cook

We talked it over with the kids
and once a week they were going to cook
now....... they also
were in elementary school
we gave them a simple menu
and they really did a good job
but.......
I do remember the very first meal
consider that Josh was in the first grade
the meal included a salad
now...this was way before the days of
salad in a bag
all you had was
iceberg lettuce
or at least in Berry that was all you had
so Brady and Courtney told Josh
to get out the head of lettuce
and tear off pieces into bite size
and put it in a bowl and return it to the frig
Well......
we got ready to eat
sat down at the table
all three of the kids were so proud
Josh remembered his salad
now remember...
he was a 1st grader
and you can picture
his brother and sister give him a job
that in their
much more highly developed minds
could not be messed up.....
Josh
got the bowl out of the refrigerator
put the bottle of salad dressing
down on the table
took the lid off of......
a bowl of torn up cabbage!
I remember the moment of silence
then.....
the brother and sister...laughing
Josh and the look on his face
but
his Daddy helped him cut it up a little smaller
and put a little mayo with salt and pepper
while
I informed the brother and sister
that they would.....
eat it
eat a lot of it
and love it

I guess it worked
all of my kids are
good cooks
and
they can also iron a mean shirt!

Back to last Tuesday
our menu was
Bertolli Chicken Parmigiana with Penne
Bacon wrapped green beans
Caesar salad
and BarBQ bread

Of course
the Bertolli's is easy to make
but very good
Emma took on this job
since it involved heat
on top of the stove
They all buttered the bread
Abby made the salad
They all
enjoyed
making the bacon wrapped green beans

They got so into it that they
went upstairs during a baking time
and
made place cards

The meal was really good
Mom and Dad seemed to enjoy it
and
I think they were very proud of their selves

Can't wait to do it again!



MeMe Notice
all hands were scrubbed
and I made a point of explaining to them
that we had to disinfect the counter
after the raw bacon was on it!

4 comments:

kimberly t. bowling said...

LOVE IT! Can they come cook for me? I would especially like to request the bacon wrapped green beans....and I'll even handle the clean up!! :)Wonderful memories, Mrs. Joy.

Amanda McCrory said...

Loved the Story!

courtney said...

cute story; i know the kids had fun. thanks for including me in the "good cook" category; i got a good laugh out of that. :)

Kim Lawson said...

We sure did enjoy it!! And now I am ecstatic that it's gonna happen again! :)