Thursday, October 27, 2011

Downtown Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

We stayed in Harrisburg. Happy Valley was booked solid by the time we decided to make this trip. I saw on the Alabama Alumni website that they were staying in Harrisburg. So..if it was good enough for them it should be good enough for us. The bus with the Alabama Alumni pulled up to the Crowne Plaza about 5 minutes behind us.....from then on....Crimson everywhere!

I went out exploring. This lady, a nurse at the hospital, a block away, was out walking and stopped me to talk. She asked if I was there for the game. She was very friendly and we had a nice talk. Everybody kept talking to me.......me thinks...they wanted to hear my southern drawl!


The River had flooded the day before we got to Harrisburg. Mapquest directions and an GPS doesn't do you any good when your exit is closed and all the streets going to your hotel are flooded. Luckily the water stopped one block from our hotel.


The bridge going over the river was closed. This is one block from where we were staying.


Everybody was walking over the bridge and watching the water





As I was looking back at the river bank....the river bank that is right beside the usually very busy city.....


...........this deer jumped into the water. I can't imagine where it came from. It had to come from the middle of the city. I am guessing the rising water had ran it out from somewhere. So sad, because everybody knew it couldn't swim against the fast running water. I had to quit watching.


The other side of the bridge is where their baseball team plays but it was all under water.







On my way back to the hotel I just couldn't resist taking a picture of this cute fire hydrant

No comments: